Advanced planning is essential in determining how to invest your personal savings (401(k), I.R.A., non I.R.A., etc.) in order to pursue your retirement goals. Assessing your current financial situation will enable an Action Plan to be developed before retiring so that appropriate strategies can be implemented ahead of time.
Retirement Planning Areas to be addressed include:
- When you plan to retire
- Examination of net worth and current investment approach
- Determine how much income will be needed and adjusted for inflation
- Which pension option should be chosen
- Insurance review
- Will social security be taxed
- How much additional savings are required, if any
- Spousal survivorship needs analysis
Asset allocation does not ensure a profit or protect against loss. Tactical allocation may involve more frequent buying and selling of assets and will tend to generate higher transaction cost investors. Investors should consider the tax consequences of moving positions more frequently. All investing involves risk, including the loss of principal.